The litigation followed the 2023 arrest of Cedric Lodge, who managed Harvard Medical School's morgue for nearly three decades and who prosecutors said stole and sold parts of cadavers donated to the school for medical research and education.
Lodge pleaded guilty to interstate transport of stolen human remains and was sentenced to eight years in prison. His wife, Denise Lodge, was sentenced to 12 months and one day in prison.
Lodge admitted that, from 2018 through at least March 2020, he participated in the sale and interstate transport of human remains stolen from the Harvard Medical School morgue, including organs, brains, skin, hands, faces, dissected heads and other parts from donated cadavers after they had been used for research and teaching purposes but before they were disposed of in accordance with anatomical gift donation agreements.
He transported the remains to his home in New Hampshire without the knowledge or permission of Harvard, the donors or their families, officials said.
Harvard condemned Lodge's conduct in a message to the school's community Monday.
"His violations … were despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community," George Daley, Harvard's dean of the faculty of medicine, and Bernard Chang, dean for medical education at Harvard Medical School, wrote in the letter.
The university noted that the federal indictment said Lodge acted "without the knowledge or permission of HMS."
Harvard said the proposed settlement also includes a pledge by HMS to provide a statement to claimant families reaffirming that Lodge's criminal acts were "morally reprehensible and inconsistent with the standards that Harvard University and HMS expect for the treatment of anatomical donors and their loved ones."
The university also said it will establish an annual financial aid scholarship for medical students beginning in the 2027-2028 academic year in appreciation and honor of its anatomical donors.
"We hope that this resolution ensures that this never happens to another family ever again," John Morgan, whose law firm, Morgan & Morgan, represented families in the litigation, said in a statement.
Fox News Digital's Alex Koch and Reuters contributed to this report.