By Jessica Mathews /

The Livingston County Sheriff’s Office is highlighting the heroic, lifesaving actions of Deputy Ray Marino who rushed into a building fire to rescue a resident despite heavy smoke and near-zero visibility.

A post on the Sheriff’s Office Facebook page highlighted the incident and Marino’s unwavering dedication to the safety of the community.

On the morning of January 29th, Central Dispatch started receiving calls about a building that was on fire on Highland Road. Deputy Marino was dispatched to the address, where he began to evacuate the building’s residents as the fire and smoke spread quickly. After being advised that a resident was still in the building on the east side, Deputy Marino rushed back into the building.

The Office says even though there was heavy smoke coming out of the door on the east side, reducing visibility to near zero, he quickly made his way inside and reappeared shortly assisting the resident out of the danger.

Once out of the building, Howell Deputy Fire Chief Brian Anderson and a past member of the Department, Anthony Riccio, assisted Deputy Marino in carrying the resident to safety, where he was treated by paramedics and transported to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The Office said there is no question that Deputy Marino’s selfless actions saved the life of one of their residents – adding the instinct to place his own life in jeopardy for the sake of a stranger highlights his dedication to the protection of the community.

Meanwhile, the Howell Area Fire Department is also recognizing other individuals who assisted in getting residents out of the home. The office has been advised that a gentleman by the name of Remy LaRosa also assisted in helping residents from the burning structure. LaRosa, who resides at the home, knocked on several doors alerting other residents that the structure was on fire. Once out of the home, LaRosa met up with Anthony Gowan outside of the home and advised him that one of the residents was still in the house. LaRosa and Gowan attempted to re-enter the home but were unable due to the amount of smoke and fire. The two men began assisting the resident who had been removed from the home and getting them to a safe location on the property where EMS could evaluate his condition.

The Department says it expresses its gratitude to those individuals who risked their own lives to save the life of another. While there is great danger in entering a building without the proper gear and equipment, the selfless actions of several individuals who helped to save the life of one should be recognized in the community and they should be honored for their heroic acts.