Brighton District Library Expands "Library of Things" Collection
February 12, 2019
“Why buy when you can borrow?” That’s the motto being embodied by the Brighton District Library when it comes to a unique collection.
Officials say patrons can gain a new skill, explore areas of interest or let their imagination take off with the Library of Things. Thanks to the popularity of the 9-month-old collection, a new batch of “things” are ready to be checked out for two weeks with a library card thanks to generous donor funding. BDL Head of Collections and Public Relations Sarah Neidert says the incredible thing about the collection is that it allows an individual the opportunity to try out a product before investing money in it. For those not wanting to buy, she says a one-time or few-times per year borrow from the library is a win-win and there’s no cost to the individual. The collection originally consisted of twelve “things” such as a sewing machine, wildlife camera, and slide projector.
The newest line-up of offerings includes:
• Kindles (5) loaded with the library's book club selections.
• Wifi Hotspots (10) check out for a week with unlimited data.
• Portable Bluetooth Speaker: Provides clear, crisp 360-degree sound and big bass. Waterproof with case.
• Car Battery and Alternator tester- check if your battery is really dead or the state of your alternator.
• Auto Code Scanner- find out why your “check engine” light is on.
Fixer Upper tools and Measuring
• Electronic Stud Finder
• Cordless Drill and Power Project Kit- Includes many basic tools.
• Laser Measurer: Based on measured length, width and height, provides smart volume and area calculations, no need of manual operation.
• Portable telescope: Includes tripod, backpack and additional lenses.
Interested patrons can visit the library information desk to browse the collection or get more information about it online. A link is posted below. (JM)