A fire that started in an area being used to store woodchips near Dexter has been smoldering for days.

Fire crews responded on Monday evening after large pile of woodchips about 30 feet high and 150 feet in diameter caught fire in a gravel pit at Toma and North Territorial roads. No injuries were reported, but the fire caused widely visible smoke plumes. Dexter Area Fire Chief Robert Smith says the fire may have started due to spontaneous combustion.

He said Thursday he's been checking on it a few times a day and it could smolder into Saturday. (JK)