- Five Foot Rule: greet every customer within 5 feet with a smile!
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. Load pots, compost, mulch and soil into customers’ vehicles.
- Answering questions pertaining to plants, pricing, specials, inventory, etc.
- Answering the phone when needed.
- Provide “Personal Shopper” services when needed. This can include securing a trolley, cart or basket for shoppers, walking with customers while they browse to answer questions, helping customers select companion plants, assisting customers with finding the right plant for the right place in their gardens.
- Able to manage customer expectations appropriately regarding sales, inventory and availability.
Sales & Inventory
- Using cash register and credit card machine to ring sales swiftly and accurately.
- Writing of sales tickets for ease of checkout.
- Willingness to upsell merchandise: fertilizer, compost, insecticides, additional plant matter.
- Reconciling inventory with greenhouse invoice when it arrives at the Garden Center.
- Ongoing familiarity with and ability to promote any specials and sales to customers.
- Ability to learn about the plant care products available in the store: insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers, compost, pest control products, organic products.
Care, Display & Maintenance of Live Plants
- Watering, pruning, deadheading and trimming of plant matter to ensure attractiveness and health.
- Ability to attractively display plant pots, flats and trays on shelves with tags facing out.
- Ability to learn how to spot signs of plant diseases, problems, stress and damaging insects.
- Clear communication with manager regarding hours able to work.
- Prompt notification to manager when unable to work a shift due to unforeseen circumstances (illness, emergency, etc.).
- Willingness to work flexible hours and weekends.
- Able to follow directions and assist other staff with tasks.
- Willingness to take Proven Winners 2021 product test.
- Able to dress for outdoor work in good and bad weather. No cut off shorts or open-toed shoes!
- A friendly demeanor and positive attitude! We want you to have fun while working hard!
- Knowledge of live plants, their care and maintenance techniques is preferred, but not required. Plants sold at Bock’s Big Acre include: annuals, perennials, ornamental trees, shrubs, herbs, vegetables and seeds.
- Able to learn computerized cash register, credit card machine as well as opening and closing procedures.
- Willingness and ability to keep garden center store and bathroom facility clean, swept and well-stocked.
- Able to display merchandise in an attractive and organized manner.
- Able to ask for assistance when necessary. No one knows the answers to everything!
- Free Proven Winners t-shirt! Bock’s Big Acre is a certified Proven Winners Garden Center and we wear our PW t-shirts at work.
- Flexible hours. We are open daily from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., but will work with you to build a schedule that fits your availability.
- Employee discount.
- On-the-job training from an Advanced Master Gardener on many garden-related topics.
Being a Sales Associate in our Garden Center is a diverse position. Responsibilities include: Customer Service; Sales & Inventory Knowledge; Care, Display & Maintenance of Live Plants. Each is described in detail below.
You must be at least 16 years of age to apply, have reliable transportation, a work permit and be able to work weekends. Send your resume to Julie Maynard, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Cathy Coulson, email@example.com. Applications are available at our store or an electronic copy may be requested via email. We look forward to hearing from you either via email or phone at 734-878-3092!